Wednesday, July 6, 2011

HAHAHA! Free time.

Remember that free time I was talking about. Do you remember? Well. Yeah. So I did it to myself. Which I always do. But this time it was for the good of the family. Yes. I started couponing. Call me a couponer. Coupon Queen. I read a few how-to's and thought to myself, self, this is something you can do! And best part--- saving money! Who doesn't want to save money? Really! Well maybe Trump. But I bet even he likes a good bargain.

So for the first time in YEARS, I buy a paper. Now I had read the cons-- time consuming, a bunch of processed crap, not worth it, more expensive than non name brands etc. So skepticism was already on the table. I clipped a few.  Then I found some blog links to coupons.com and WOW! Printed all the coupons that were something I might buy. Cut them all out. Filled my sunroom with coupons spread all out in different categories. Well disorder is not your friend when dealing with coupons! Coupons get lost, coupons expire, and if you have kids, coupons get mixed up. Again. And again. So I needed to find something to put them in. Cause really, this was getting out of hand. So I got a binder, and after driving around to several stores, decided to order my coupon sleeves online.  Well would you believe it? You can buy coupons on ebay! You aren't buying the coupon per say cause that's against the law, you are buying the time and effort of the person clipping the coupon, like you would a babysitter. This adds a whole NEW area to explore in the world of couponing!

Skip ahead a few weeks. I discover more clipping services, and a few more coupon sites with different coupons. I buy 2 papers every week. Learned that I can't use all the coupons I print before they expire, so dont print them all as soon as you see them. Then learned that they do run out of prints, so if its something you want, PRINT IT. The cost of the ink and paper won't compare to the savings in the long run. And the heartache that is caused by knowing you could have saved $1 off but now cant. OYE! Who would have thought it was an emotional hobby right? I have a pantry. Now almost full of all sorts of stuff. I have a chest freezer!

I have learned to use sites like krazycouponlady to help with the deals you can find at CVS, and putting together the best coupons to get the most savings. Now for all the negative Nancys out there. YES. It is time consuming. Hence my gap in blog posts. You have to look at the stores, look at the sales, all beginning and ending on different days of the week, all with different policies regarding coupons, and going through your coupons constantly to see which are expiring, and if they match any sales. I get overwhelmed sometimes after trying to plot several stores trips in one evening. I step back and go do something else for a few and come back later. I write in my notebook all the details of my list, pull out the right coupons, fold my list in half and stuff the coupons inside.

Can store brand stuff cost less? Sure. But with the right coupons, paying .50 for a big box of cheerios can't be beat!

Is it processed junk you don't buy?  I dont know, do you shower? do you brush your teeth? Diaper your baby? Drink juice? Eat ice cream? Use toilet paper? I guess if you don't do any of that stuff, maybe couponing is not for you. HA! Also the larger your family, the easier it is to try different brands if you know the cost difference.

For me and my family. I have lost some free time, but have gotten to the point where there is always food in the house, there is always a last minute dinner to be found, a treat, even toiletries.  I dont walk into a store and start at one end and go up and down the aisle like before. I print out my grocery list from the stores website, very handy, gather my coupons, and buy just whats on the list. If I have to go out again. I go out again. I now clip every coupon for something I might buy, even if its not my brand, because it may be the expensive brand, but if there is a sale and I get it free, WHY NOT??!! Couponing is not for everyone.  I just found out it is for me! :)

No comments: